Chapter 19: Result

Chapter 19: Result
Result: The final outcome of a soccer match, whether a draw, or a victory by the team scoring the greater number of goals.
“So what’s the verdict, finally?” I ask, taking a seat in Rosie’s office. Everyone’s buzzing about what I did, even though the official story keeps me anonymous.
“Well, I just got off the phone with my contacts at the courthouse. James has pled guilty to all the charges, in exchange for leniency in sentencing, provided he shares info on Alec’s involvement.” Rosie sounds genuinely pleased.
I couldn’t be happier. Although I wish he would rot in prison for a long time, I can’t be too pissed off at the turnout. At least Edward’s in the clear. 
“Have you heard from London?”
Shortly after James’ arrest, authorities in London had arrested Alec with an unrelated assault charge on a bar patron. Typical.
“Nothing new except he’s been suspended indefinitely from Arsenal’s roster and fined. Most likely the league will drop him completely. Serves him right, the asshole.”
The MLS had issued an official statement denouncing James’ actions and clearing Edward of any wrong-doing, allowing him to return to the field for the next game, which was today.
“Excellent. I guess I’ll see you in a couple hours?” I ask, rising up to leave.
“Yeppers. It’s going to be so much fun!” Rosie exclaims. 
We say our goodbyes and I head home. 
Edward left quite early this morning in order to be at the field with the rest of the team before the match. I had felt him kiss me on the forehead and whisper an “I love you” as I wished him luck half asleep. I finally rise from bed a while later to take a shower, eat some breakfast and get ready for my outing with the girls.
About a couple hours later, I’m dressed in jeans, chucks, and Red Bulls shirt with MASEN printed in bold on the back. I smile proudly at my reflection in the mirror.
There’s a knock at the door. When I open it I find a giddy Alice and Rosie, both dressed in  Red Bulls attire. I lock up, heading down with them to Alice’s car; Jasper’s at the wheel.
“Well hello there, my dear. Ready to watch Edward kill it today?” he says as we slide into the backseat. Alice takes her place up front. 
“Yes, sir! Let’s do this,” I reply. The girls responding with their own cheers.
The stadium is electric as the fans fill the space with excited chatter, laughter, and hollering. We’re shuffled towards the elevators, suddenly enveloped in silence as the doors shut out the loud revelers. 
“Wow, this is crazy. I had no idea there were so many fans!” Alice says as she hangs on Jasper’s arm. He looks at her adoringly, a wide grin showing off his perfect teeth. I never imagined Alice would behave as she does around Jasper, it’s all so alien to me. She’s always been so proudly independent, a trait she and I both share. But strangely, I love seeing her like this, totally in love. I realize I’m not too far from being just like her when I’m with Edward. I’m not bothered by it... not one bit. The thought makes me smile.
“You’d be surprised. People here have been waiting for this stadium to be completed for a while. Now that they have it, season tickets are practically sold out,” Jasper proudly shares.
He says “practically” because we’re not deluding ourselves. Soccer still has ways to go in terms of garnering the same popularity in the States it enjoys in the rest of the world. But as far as attendance goes, this has the makings of one of the best turnouts of the season. This might be due in large part to Edward’s name on the front page of every sports section in the country and discussion of his return on every sports news show. The fans’ curiosity equals match attendance, much to the glee of the Big Wigs and their thick pockets.
The elevator doors open to reveal a huge air-conditioned room with several large flat screens and food covering every available inch of the tables against the wall. Several players’ girlfriends, wives, kids and VIPs mingle with each other; champagne, beer, soft drinks flow for those in attendance. The vibe is positive, and I’m greeted first by Felix, who’s elated and enthusiastic over how well Edward’s doing, then by the other guests.
Everyone seems to know who we are as we’re guided to our special seats in the club box. After all the tension and worry of the past couple of weeks, I’m relieved to just sip my beer and enjoy the company of friends.
As I make my rounds, I notice Carlisle and Esme seated nearby and I practically skip over to greet them.
“Hello, dear! It’s so nice to see you! Isn’t this all so exciting?” Esme gushes as she embraces me tightly. I return the sentiment before we break the hug. Carlisle leans  over and kisses my cheek. He’s a man of few words, but he definitely has a quiet strength about him.
“Did you see him at all today?” I ask.
Carlisle responds, nodding. “Briefly. I may have thrown my name around a little down at the locker rooms. Some of the team doctors recognized me and gave me a chance to chat with him for a few minutes. He looked happy. Nervous, but happy. But then again, Edward’s always suffered from nerves before a game. When he was a kid in the AYSO league, he’d either be very talkative or just throw up in the bushes before heading onto the field. Nothing has changed,” he chuckles.
My heart clenches as I imagine a small Edward: scrawny, pale, with wild, thick copper hair like licks of fire running up and down the field. Esme’s promises to show me his childhood pictures and her comments about picturing our own children momentarily cause me to panic silently. But another part of me, a little tiny part, is slowly pushing its way to the surface, quietly hoping Esme’s right. I grin like an idiot.
We make some more small talk before taking our seats right before the game starts.
A few minutes later, the announcer’s voice booms over the loudspeakers as he names each starting player. When he says Edward’s name, the crowd goes nuts. I see him jog out to the sidelines, waving to all his fans, a great big smile on his face. My face hurts from smiling so much as I watch him absorb all the love from his fans—enough energy to pump him up for this match, maybe enough for him to take on the world. I’m so very proud of him.
Right before the game officially begins, Edward glances around. He must sense my eyes watching him because he turns towards the club box and I swear he sees me. I get all giddy and wave, even though I’m a dork to even think he can tell from that far away. Nevertheless, Edward waves in our general direction and the game begins.
Throughout the game, both teams are pretty evenly matched in terms of ability, speed and defense. The Bulls always manage to get oh-so-close, only to miss a shot or get blocked by defenders on the opposing team. Edward seems a little on edge when the defense thwarts his goal attempts. That is, until about sixty-five minutes into the game when Edward’s apparent anger transforms him into charging bull (I guess the team name is suddenly appropriate). The opposing team’s forward hurls a header towards the Bulls’ goalie, who blocks it with his bare hands. He quickly makes a long throw toward the center of the field where Edward is already positioned. Taking control of the ball, Edward works his way down toward the goal post, but the opposing team’s defense blocks his attempt. Seeing no way out he shoots the ball right towards Emmett, who’s placed towards the right of the defense, giving the Bulls’ forwards enough time to move ahead. 
Emmett kicks the ball long toward their teammate, a guy named Michelson, who’s got a better shot to score. He takes the ball, making a quick kick tap toward the goalpost. Once again, the opposing team’s stupid-ass goalie blocks the play and they all end up fumbling on the floor. But out of the nowhere Edward sneaks three steps behind, sees the clear shot and his right leg slings the ball with maximum force. This time, GOAL!
And I’m excited... and horny.
Everyone in the box goes crazy. Rosie, Alice and I exchange happy hugs, jumping up and down like kids. Esme is claps vigorously and Carlisle man-hugs Jasper, each of them patting the other loudly on the back.
Neither team manages to score again and the Red Bulls take the win 1-0. All of us scamper out after the game ends and make our way over to one of the large rooms located on the top floor of the stadium reserved for club events. It’s been decked out with high top tables and an open bar. After about an hour, the players start to trickle in, all of them showered and dressed. They all meet up with the respective guests and families and the mood is bright and cheerful. The room erupts in even more boisterous cheers and I see a crowd form close to the doors. At first, I’m curious to see what’s causing the commotion and the same interest is mirrored on the faces of my friends and Edward’s parents before it hits me.
Edward has entered the building.
He’s their hero. He’s their star. People begin to move in, surrounding the door, and I can only see his telltale bronzy mess of hair slightly above the rest of the crowd. He must be loving it, totally eating it up. I can’t help the eye roll as I imagine his ego blowing up to epic heights. But I realize he deserves it, so I let it slide. He deserves this moment.
Finally- fucking finally- I see him. The crowd parts like the Red Sea, the huge ass grin on his face so infectious that I have to smile as well. Then I do something I’ve only seen done in movies.
I run.
I run into his open arms and almost make him lose his balance, but he holds on tight as he swings me off the ground, twirling.
Yes, folks. We’re twirling.
I barely register the aww’s and camera snaps because I’m only focused on the sensations of being in Edward’s arms. That’s all that really matters, right?
He grunts into my neck and whispers the words for me and me alone. “God, I love you. I love you so much.”
It’s a thrill to hear those words; even if I’ve heard him say them before, it never gets old. Not one bit. I squeeze him harder once I’m back on solid ground, leaning back to see his face. His green eyes shine, evergreen and vibrant, their corners crinkling as he grins. I kiss him full on the mouth, not really caring who’s around, and it quickly spirals into something a little less chaste before we hear catcalls and whistles from the rest of the guys. Edward smiles against my lips and we break apart, but not before he whispers “later” in my ear, causing goosebumps to erupt all over my skin.
The reception is a lot of fun, but as the early evening rolls in, all I want to do is take Edward back home and do naughty things to him. Watching him play today reminded me of all the reasons I love soccer: muscled legs, sweat, and power. Of course, lets not forget the moment the winning team takes their shirts off and run around the field. Pure sex.
Edward knows me pretty damn well because in an instant he’s saying his goodbyes to all the important people and ushering me out the door and into his car. His leg bounces up and down as he barrels through the streets. I’m trying really hard to control my sudden desire to lean over and show him some “appreciation” while he’s driving, but I think better of it and add that to my plans for tonight. Edward places his hand on my jean-clad thigh and the warm current from it jolts me in the sweetest spots. I have no idea if we’ll even make it his loft in time.
Miraculously, we do make it, and we clumsily alternate between taking steps towards our destination and pausing to maul and molest each other. It’s almost like the first time we came together, only this time, there’s love mixed in.
By the time we’re inside his space, we’re already peeling off items of clothing from one another, never once disconnecting our lips. It’s delicious and it’s perfect. As we’re fumbling around the room, clothes all over the floor, he’s pulling me towards the bed. But a sudden burst of creativity enters my thoughts as I catch a glimpse of the Monster Terrace, the memory of a previous conversation coming back to me. I grin salaciously, turning my heard to look at Edward, his eyes searching and narrowed.
“That look... I know that look. What are you thinking?” he asks gruffly.
“Outside. Now.” I’m hoping the emphasis in my voice is enough to signal what I’m talking about. 
Edward looks outside, as it instantly dawns on him.
“You sure?” He sounds hopeful. I grin and nod as I pull on his hand, walking him towards the glass doors that lead out to the beautiful outdoor space. I’ve had dreams about being with him out here.
I spot a pretty big L-shaped sectional with extra wide seat cushions and I make a beeline for it. The air has a little chill to it, but not cold enough to cause a retreat. Edward closes in and slowly wraps his arms around me, the evidence of his enthusiasm pressing hard against my back. His lips drag, kiss and suck at my skin from that spot under my ear that drives me crazy, to that place on my shoulder that drives me crazy...
What am I talking about? Everything this man does drives me crazy.
The sounds of the city below echo and rise around us. The feeling that life down there is oblivious to our moment here creates an imaginary bubble. I could live in this bubble forever, I think as his hands grip my hips and pull me flush against him. My arms lift over to grab the back of his neck as I turn my head to meet his waiting mouth.
Eventually I turn around in his arms as he leads me to the sofa, lowering me down slowly and gently until he’s above me. His gaze melts me.
As the evening rolls on and the stars shine bright across the clear black night, we make love. Sometimes soft and languid, sometimes hard and fast. But always passionate. Forgetting where we are, our sounds echo through the night. Each time he looks at me as we make each other come, all the love in the world enveloping us. And as we lay there looking up towards the sky, a large throw draped over our naked and spent bodies, I finally understand Edward’s need to be together, like... all the time.
That persistent longing to be with him all the time causes me to revisit talks of our future. I mull over his desire to move in together while my hand gently plays with the smattering of soft hair on his chest. I know he had acquiesced to my suggestion to alternate between our places just to make me happy. His eyes had shown a smidgen of disappointment that I couldn’t ignore, but I had to leave it be at the time. But now, after everything, I think maybe I have been making things more complicated than they need to be.
He loves me. I love him. I can’t see myself with anyone else for the rest of my life, and I can bet everything I have that he feels the same way. So why am I reluctant to move in with him? That version of me seems so far away, I don’t even recognize her. 
I want this. I want us. Here. Together.
When my heart leaps erratically at my determination of making this happen, I lift my head to gaze at Edward. His eyes are closed, but I’m not sure if he’s awake or not so I test him by kissing him softly below his collar-bone. He lets out a quiet, low, gruff moan as his arms tighten around me. He’s awake, and I smile against him. 
“You okay?” he whispers.
“Better than okay.”
“Good. This was a good idea. It’s beautiful out here.”
“Yes it is.” 
We stay silent for a few moments before I continue.
“Edward?”
“Mmmm.”
“I was thinking...”
“Mmmm.”
Jesus. How do I say this?
“Do you... maybe... I... “ Damn it. I sigh, impatient with myself.
“What is it?” Edward turns his head to look at me.
“I was just thinking... about what you asked me other night.”
“You’ll have to be more specific, love.”
“Well, you remember when you suggested...no, when you asked me to, you know, move in with you?” I practically whispered that last part.
Edward stiffens slightly before sighing deeply.
“Yeah?”
“Well, I was just wondering, if maybe... that offer was still...”
“Yes.” 
I look at him abruptly.
“Yes?” I squeak.
“Yes, I still want you to move in with me. Yes.” He sounds determined. There’s also a little hopeful gleam in his eyes. We stare at each other for a moment before Edward speaks again.
“Do you... do you want to move in with me?” he asks timidly.
I smile and look straight into his eyes, wanting him to know I’m serious... hiding nothing.
“Edward Masen, you’re my home. I want to be wherever you are.”
Edward’s smile grows impossible wider. He kisses me, both of us pouring every ounce of feeling and promise into each other as the stars twinkle above us.
Yeah.

I’m home.

No comments:

Post a Comment