Chapter 18: Serious Foul Play

Chapter 18: Serious Foul Play
Serious Foul Play: A misconduct, often violent, which consists of the clearly disproportionate use of physical force against an opponent during a contest for the ball on the field, and while the ball is in play.
Last time on Evening the Score:
Once he hears the recording, he summons the rest of his administrative team; most of them look exactly like him in suits and glasses. Unfortunately, a look at the security cameras yields nothing. Everyone agrees that more than likely, my recording will not be admissible for most legal proceedings, but it doesn’t mean they can’t set him up with the help of their security team and maybe even the police. Calls are made, conversations buzz, a flurry of activity erupts as Rose and I take a moment to view the big picture before us. 
We did it...
Edward’s in the clear...I think.
~*~*~*~EtS~*~*~*~
The next couple of days pass in relative peace and quiet. The Big Wigs had opened a full investigation with the help of the police and security team hoping there was enough evidence against James and his cousin both to charge them and to clear Edward of any wrongdoing. The Red Bulls hoped to eliminate any unwanted media as well. They had checked the security cameras located in the locker rooms only to find that they had suspiciously not recorded a single second of James’ tampering. After the police questioned everyone on the security team, they determined that one of the guys in the security team had been paid off. It didn’t take long to single out another new employee: some college kid trying to make a few extra bucks. He was fired on the spot.
Edward is a little more at ease with the situation as I continue to assure him that things are resolving swiftly. Our life together also calms into a comfortable routine. As we decided, we split our time between both of our apartments and it’s great. But even though I was the one who so adamantly suggested we try this new living arrangement instead of actually moving in with him, I can’t get this nagging feeling out of my head and heart that maybe I do want more.
Imagine that.
Of course, I keep these thoughts to myself since I’m really not at a place where I can sit and think things through clearly. My schedule is jam-packed with write ups and outline assignments for Rosie’s latest articles. I’m also busy corresponding London connections who are keeping an eye out for Alec’s whereabouts and any suspicious behavior. The thought that I had actually slept with that slime bag sends cold shivers down my body, and I seriously want to scrub the memories away in the shower.
Edward is kept pretty busy with all the practices and we don’t see each other until late in the evenings. I’m okay with it, since working out and staying focussed helps him keep his mind off of the impending re-test and media storm surrounding his situation. But I guess any publicity is good publicity. ESPN schedules an interview with him as soon they get wind of the investigation. Edward and Felix agree to it since things seem to be going their way in the case, but decide to wait until everything is taken care of and charges are brought against James. Endorsement offers keep rolling in, and even Men’s Health wants to do a feature and portray Edward on the cover in all his ab-tastic glory. I’ll be buying a few hundred copies.
As Edward and I settle on the couch to watch some movie he’s loaded into the Blue-ray player, I lean into his side and curl up against his warmth. His arm wraps around me, and I’m as content as I’ve ever been until of course he utters words that send me into red alert.
“So, I just got off the phone with my dad a little while ago. They’re coming up for a visit this weekend.” He eyes me warily for my reaction. I’m pretty sure I look horrified despite my attempts to mask my anxiety. 
“Oh yeah?”
“Yeah, well I was supposed to visit them earlier in the week, but all this shit started so I couldn’t make it out there. Felix thought it would be smart for me to stay during initial drills and stuff to show dedication to the team during the appeal process, and I agree.” He pauses. “But Mom seems to think I need family support. I think it’s more about her missing me and you know, wanting to meet you,” he trails off.
“Meet me? How much have you told them about me, or us or whatever?” There goes my stomach.
Edward shifts a little on the couch, sighing deeply.
“Not too much. Just that I met someone, told them your name, what you do and stuff.”
Okay. This doesn’t sound too bad.
“I may have told them that I was in love with you,” he mumbles, covering his mouth with his free hand. Won’t help, buddy. I heard you.
If this was the old Bella, I would’ve run for the frigging hills and never looked back. I can’t do that now. Nor do I want to, quite honestly. There’s a small part of me that is secretly elated that he’s told his parents about me, about being in love with me. And as much as I dread the formality of meeting them, I also want to jump and squee. I’m finally the girl the boy takes home to mom and dad. 
I pull away just enough to look at him. His sea-green eyes reflect his nervousness. I probably have the same nervous expression plastered on my face too.
“Do you think they’ll like me?” My voice pitches higher than normal. God, I feel like an insecure little girl. Probably sound like one too.
His expression softens as he smiles reassuringly, caressing my face.
“Bella, they’ll love you. Aside from the fact that I haven’t brought a girl home in years, they’ll love you simply because you’re amazing. They would be fools to not see how wonderful you are, how happy you make me.” 
I can’t help but sigh in relief as I place my hand over his and kiss his palm. I move to straddle him, the movie totally forgotten. I kiss him slowly, lovingly, as my hands wrap around his neck, my fingers grabbing his hair. His arms encircle my waist, his hands trailing up and down my lower back.
“I guess it’s time to meet the Cullens,” I whisper against his mouth. He smiles.
He grabs the back of my thighs, lifting me up. My giggles and his groans echo through the walls as he takes us to the bedroom. After he makes love to me slowly and passionately, we both fall into a deep, restful sleep.
~*~*~*EtS~*~*~*~
 After a short meeting at the paper to hammer out the next edition’s articles and deadlines, I gather my things and am about to head out before Rosie catches me.
“Hey! Where you off to in such a rush?”
“Sorry, babe, important appointment to keep,” I sing, giving her a cheeky grin. She raises a brow in amusement, leaning in a little closer to whisper.
“What’s going on? Tell me!” She nearly whines. 
“Okay fine. Edward’s parents are flying in.” I glance down at my phone’s clock. “They should actually be here already. We’re taking them out to dinner,” I say, unable to mask my nervousness. 
Rosie’s mouth makes an “o” shape as her eyes widen mischievously. 
“Oh! Look at you. Bella meeting the parents! I thought I’d never see the day. I’m very proud of you,” she says, winking. 
“Yeah, yeah, yeah. I know. big step. Gotta go.” I make my escape, waving her off and promising to call afterwards.
~*~*~*~EtS~*~*~*~
They love me. They really love me.
The evening goes off without a hitch. I surprise even myself. I’m graceful. I’m proper. 
I’m slightly buzzed.
So I need a little liquid courage and discreetly consume three glasses of Pinot Noir. Everyone else does too. We’re all pretty happy. Laughter is contagious. Currently Esme, Edward’s mom, is telling stories of his first little league soccer game when he was five.
“So he ran in the opposite direction to the other team’s goal! He... he... oh...” Esme is having trouble finishing her sentence through hysterical giggles. Luckily, Carlisle, Edward’s dad finishes the story for her. But he’s not fairing much better. His face is already red from the laughing fit that attacked him earlier.
“Oh, Edward was just so excited. He thought everyone was cheering him on when in fact the coaches were yelling at him and waving him down to run the other way!”
I die. By this point, I’m already keeling over on the sofa, hugging my stomach and wiping tears from my eyes. I hear Edward huff impatiently.
“Okay, laugh now. I’m glad you’re all amused. I was five for crying out loud! My teammates weren’t doing any better. If I remember correctly, Timmy Roberts ran right off the field!  At least I kicked the shit out of that ball and made the goal!” 
I glance at him to see if he’s as irritated as he sounds, only to find a smile tugging on his lips. He catches my stare and his smile widens until he’s joining us in our gigglefest.
I can’t remember the last time I had so much fun. Being here in such a comfortable setting with Edward and his parents is a telltale sign of how far I’ve come. I want this. I want all of it. The laughter, the family gatherings, the love and support.
I’m not trying to knock my parents or anything, but I grew up in a different environment. My dad loved me and raised me the best way he could. I’d say he’s done a hell of a job. But this- all this unity and love and family- it’s something I never knew I craved. I already love these people. I love them because they’re funny. I love them because they’re lovely people. Most of all, I love them because they raised Edward into the man he is today. He’s the man that loves me. 
Post after-dinner drinks, Esme helps me clear off the dishes that were left on the table and follows me into the kitchen. I’m loading the dishwasher when she leans against the counter next to me.
“You’re good for him, you know.”
I pause for a moment and look up to see her satisfied expression. I resume loading the dishes.
“He’s good for me.”
“He hasn’t brought a girl home since his first girlfriend at college. He was really smitten with her. But I knew she wasn’t right for him.”
I close the dishwasher and switch it on. I turn again to her, my brow slightly furrowed. 
“How did you know?” 
“She didn’t look at him the way he looked at her. She wasn’t mesmerized by him.”
I think about how I look at Edward, and if it’s that obvious. As if she’s read my mind, Esme continues.
“You both look at each other with adoration. It’s lovely to see my son this way again. But I have to admit he wasn’t really in love with her. No, now that I see him with you, I feel confident my son has found his soul mate.”
There she goes with the soul mate stuff. I know she’s right, but hearing someone else say it just makes everything so much more solid. I should be freaking out, but I’m not. 
Then, out of pure impulse, I hug her. I hug this woman because she understands. I see her with Carlisle, how they are still clearly in love. I can’t help but see them and easily replace the image with Edward and me. That’s us in a few years.
Thankfully, Esme’s a hugger, as she clearly displayed when Edward introduced us earlier this evening. I thought she would break my ribcage. I hug right back.
“When all this mess is done, I want the both of you to come visit us in Chicago,” she says as we break our embrace.
“Okay. I would really, really love that, Esme.”
“Edward’s going to hate it when I take out all the pictures from the day we took him home from the adoption agency. He was four, and just the cutest little thing. At least you’ll be able to see how your kids might look.”
Um, I’m sorry... what?
As she catches my mortified expression, she laughs. 
“Oh relax, Bella. I know you two are a long way from making me a grandmother, but give this old lady some hope.”
“I’m okay. Really. I just haven’t really thought about that to tell you the truth. I love your son. A lot. But we just started getting serious not too long ago, so I haven’t really put much thought into the big picture.” I’m not quite certain why I feel bad about making excuses to her. Everything I’m saying is true. We’re pretty green in our relationship. But the look in her eyes assures me that she understands as she nods with a placating smile.
“You kids should take your time. Love is one thing, but commitment is an entirely different matter. Some people think it’s all about love, that everything can be solved with hearts and flowers.” She pauses and sighs.
“Bella, love is a choice. When you look at that person who causes your stomach to flip, you make a choice whether to stick around or move on after the infatuation stage dims. The way I see you and my son interact, I already see that choice has been made. It makes me happy.” I swear I hear a slight tremble in her voice at her last words.
I don’t have much to say. Words aren’t enough to express what I’m feeling. So I let actions speak for me by hugging her again. It’s just one great big hug-a-thon.
~*~*~*~EtS~*~*~*~
The night with the Cullens is an utter success and I’m actually really excited when Rosie calls and invites all of us, including Edward’s parents, to her place for dinner the following evening. And as if coming out of hibernation, Jasper and Alice join us as well. Apparently, they had shunned the rest of the world for the last 72 hours “getting to know” each other pretty damn well. They’re already talking about scheduling future trips to visit each other. I’m not used to this new Alice- the kind of Alice that will let herself be consumed by a man she hardly knows. But then again, who am I to judge? I pretty much did the same thing. I’m the picture of total happiness, and I’m thrilled that my best friend is happy too.
The dinner is great. Everyone laughs and drinks and tells more stories. Emmett and Rosie share how they met, and I can’t get over the look of pure bliss and love on Rosie’s face as she listens to Emmett talk about how beautiful he thought she was when he first saw her. If I look hard enough, I can see little birds and hearts orbiting her head.
A little later, as the Cullens say their goodbyes to retire back to their hotel, Rosie pulls me aside and whispers.
“So, they like you, huh?” She smiles wryly.
“I think so. Esme and I had a little heart-to-heart last night. You could say she’s on Team Bella. And Carlisle... well, what’s there to say. He’s a perfect...”
“Hottie. He’s a perfect hottie,” Rosie interjects.
“Well, I was going to say he’s a perfect gentleman. But yeah, you’re right. He’s a hot piece of ass.” I know he and Edward aren’t biologically related, but wow, that’s some collection of genes.
We both giggle at our ridiculous ogling of the parental unit before Rosie segues into more serious territory.
“Edward re-tests in 48 hours. The head honcho at headquarters wants to finalize the plans for the take-down. We’ll meet in the security office tomorrow after your shift.” I look around to see if Edward is anywhere near earshot, but see that he is talking with his parents. He glances my way with worried eyes. I smile and wink, which seems to relax him some as he turns back toward the group.
“I’ll be ready. I just want this shit over with, Rosie. I just hope I don’t let Edward down.”
“Are you kidding? Edward worships you. He would rather you stay out of it, but he knows you too well to get in your way.” She leans in a little more. “B, you’ve got a keeper there. We both do. Just focus on what you have together and everything will fall into place.”
“Geez, I’m glad everyone’s giving me love advice. Am I that romantically challenged?” I laugh.
“No, silly,” Rosie swats my shoulder gently. “You just have a lot of people who really care about you and want to see you happy.”
Before I can answer, I feel two strong arms embrace me from behind. The familiar feel of them immediately calms me.
“Hey, you. We should probably get going. Big day tomorrow,” Edward whispers, sounding a little nervous.
I turn my head to touch my lips to his. “Yes. Big day. Let’s go.”
~*~*~*~EtS~*~*~*~
The next work day at training camp is uneventful. I make my usual rounds and treat various players, making sure to change nothing in my demeanor or routine. I see James throughout the day as we cross each other’s paths. His smile is innocuous enough, but I know better. He’s nothing but a mean little troll, doing his evil cousin’s dirty work. And he’s a moron to boot. Not a good mix.
As discussed, I head to the security office at the end of my shift, making sure to be as discreet as possible. Upon entering, mostly everyone that has any part in this operation, including Rosie, is there. They’re already knee-deep in logistical planning, heads popping up when they hear me come through the door.
“Ah, there she is, the woman of the hour,” declares Felix. Ever since he realized I wasn’t talking out of my ass about my suspicions, he’s been rather cordial and pleasant to be around. We had realized that both of us wanted to defend Edward at all costs, which placed us on the same team. He’s okay in my book.
I’m fitted with a wire, strategically tucked underneath my clothes, and given a pep talk by pretty much everyone there. Rosie watches me make final adjustments before giving me an unexpected and silent hug. We don’t need to say anything. 
Taking one last calming breath, I rejoin my colleagues in the training room and resume therapy. I feel surprisingly relaxed, sure of myself. But I remind myself quickly that a false sense of security would not be the most productive attitude. If I’m exposed, if this all blows up in my face, I could destroy my career. The future doesn’t look pretty if I mess this up.
The day continues normally until, out of the corner of my eye, I catch James rummaging through his pocket, taking out a small prescription-looking bottle out of the corner of my eye. I look around and notice that most of the other PTs have already started to pack up, leaving James and me alone.
As nonchalantly as I can, I take a stack of dirty towels piled against the wall and go to deposit them in a big laundry basket right next to him. When he notices me he falters slightly, eyes darting every which way but on my face. But then his manner changes, and he’s all wicked smiles, staring directly at me.
“Psst, Bella!” he whispers. “Come here. Let me show you something.”
Boy, ain’t that a loaded phrase.
“What’s up, James?” I ask dismissively. 
“Remember what I told you the other day about what I did to Masen’s stuff?” He drops his voice even lower when mentioning Edward.
“Um, yeah, of course I do. Why?” I send him a confused glance.
He looks around to see if we’re alone before grabbing my wrist with his slimy hand and leading me to the players’ lockers.
“Well, Masen tests tomorrow morning again. I’m gonna fuck with him one last time. Final nail in the coffin, you know?” He grins smugly. 
I feign surprise and concern.
“What?!” I whisper pointedly. “Are you crazy, James? There are cameras all over this place. You’ll get caught for sure!”
He scoffs. “Nah, I got a friend up there in the security room. Gave him a little compensation to accidentally turn off the recorder... You know what I mean?” 
I have a sudden urge to end him with a quick neck-wringing. But I keep my cool. I stand there in silence, frozen as he pours seemingly harmless looking pills into his palm and replaces Edward’s vitamins with them. The vitamins disappear into James’ now empty bottle. I notice the pills look exactly the same.
After the deed is done, he reminds me that I’m sworn to secrecy, as I promised before. I whole-heartedly agree and slip away to the employees’ locker area.
I take a seat on the bench for a moment to catch my breath. I hadn’t noticed that my heart was going a hundred miles an hour in there, adrenaline pumping and my pulse throbbing in my ears, and not in a good way like when I’m with Edward and he’s doing that thing with his...
Never mind. Not appropriate, Bella.
I finally calm down enough to detach the recorder and set it on my bag. I slip my phone out of my pocket to make a quick call to Rosie, just to make sure it was all caught on the recorder and cameras.
“Rosie, please tell me, for the love of God that you got all that. I seriously can’t do this again,” I whisper.
“Yep! Got it all, baby. You’re done. Get your sweet ass up here.”
“Oh, fucking finally. I thought I was going to mangle that little shit when I saw his ugly-ass face look all proud of himself... the stupid prick.” 
At that moment, things happen so fast I’m not quite sure what’s going on. 
I feel a hand grab me by the arm and push me up against the wall forcefully. At some point I drop the cell phone and hear it crash to the ground. In seconds James’s nasty breath is wafts over my face and I feel like I’m about to pass out from the stench. I would, were it not for the his menacing, angry face peering down at me. One of his hands now has me in a vice grip, while the other is grabbing my face by the jaw. Ow. That hurts.
“What the fuck, you little bitch! I told you I’d finish you if you talked. What the fuck is this shit! You recording me? Who the fuck are you, huh? Who sent you? You snoopin’ around?!” He shouts at me while I try to take a breath. I’m unsuccessful since his hand slips from my jaw to my neck, pressing down against it pretty strongly. I can’t get a word, much less any air, to pass through my throat. I feel myself starting to get dizzy, seeing black spots as I try to keep myself from fainting. Damn it, this can’t end like this... so close... so close...
My body feels heavy as me knees give out, and I surrender to the blackness, but not before I hear faint voices of men shouting. I think I hear the clank of cuffs and Miranda Rights being recited, but I’m not really sure. I feel a sharp pain on my head as it meets the cold cement floor. Rosie’s familiar, comforting voice tries to revive me. But it’s no use. I want to go to sleep. It’s comfy here on the ground. Goodnight Rosie.
I think I hear her say, “Oh, Shit.”
~*~*~*~EtS~*~*~*~
Beeping. I hear beeping. And soft voices. I hear soft voices I’m pretty sure I recognize, but I can’t make out what’s being said. I feel drums being pounded against my head.
No wait. I think that’s a headache. Crap.
Someone must hear me say that out loud, because the low hum of conversation stops and I immediately feel a warm hand on my covered ankle, and more importantly, a soothing, strong hand brushing away the hair from my face.
“Bella? Can you hear me, love?” It’s the best voice in the world. I squint my eyes open and see the silhouette of a very strong jaw and messy hair, like a solar eclipse against the harsh fluorescence. He looks like an angel.
I hear him make a sound that is a mix of nervous laughter and relief. 
“Thanks. No one’s ever said that to me before.”
Great, I said that out loud.
I hear Rosie giggle. “You gave us quite a scare there for a while, B. Edward was practically scaling the walls when he first got here. I thought he was going to injure some of the staff.”
I take a deep breath and open my eyes more fully. Rosie is in a tee shirt and jeans, hair in a messy bun. Wow, that’s a first. Then my eyes find Edward’s, staring intently at me with a sheepish grin. I smile, knowing he is probably embarrassed by his behavior.
“Hey,” I finally mumble. 
“Hey. How are you feeling?” he asks, brushing his fingers from my temple to my cheek and jaw, repeating the motion several times. His other hand gently holds mine.
“Like shit. Like my head’s been run over by a freight train.”
“Yeah, you hit your head pretty hard. They say you don’t have a concussion, but you will have a nasty headache for a while.”
“That’s fantastic,” I mutter sarcastically, closing my eyes and allowing myself to just feel his caresses as they relax me.
“Bella,” he mutters after a short moment of silence, “you scared the shit out of me today. When Rosie called I couldn’t even think straight. For a split second I thought about losing you, and it’s not something I really want to revisit. So, don’t you ever fucking do that to me again, okay?” The words are firm, but his voice is quivering. I open my eyes and stare at him. His eyes are glassy, on the verge of tears, and I truly don’t want to see him like this ever again.
“You got it. I’m done. I just want to go home, crawl into bed with you and forget everything. Can we do that?”
Edward chuckles quietly. “I’ll see what I can do. I think the doctor’s coming by in a few to sign a few papers and send you home.”
“Edward, what happened to James? Please tell me they caught him.”
“Yeah, love. They caught him. He was arrested and is being held and denied bail. Apparently, he’s a flight risk. You did good, baby.” He brings my hand to his lips and brushes them along my knuckles before peppering them with kisses. 
I did it. It’s over. Time to move on.
And as soon as the doctor signs my release as promised, Edward and Rosie help me out, and that’s just what we do.
We move on.
Later that evening, Edward makes good on his promise. We lie in his bed, tangled and cuddled and warm.
“I love you.”
“I love you too, my beautiful hero.”

No comments:

Post a Comment